We will all experience stress at some point in our lives. It can enter both our personal and professional lives and if left untreated can become an overwhelming burden.
Commonly stress is used as a general term meaning it can refer to anything from a minor irritation to a full blow breakdown. Stress is caused by a mismanagement of our fight or flight response meaning that we are constantly defending ourselves; the result is we have acquired a lot of energy to either fight the perceived threat or run from it. Sometimes though we have no way to do either option and we are stuck in a situation with a lot of energy that is unable to expel itself from our system correctly.
Causes of Stress:
- Change i.e. moving house.
- High pressure work environments
- Constant worrying
- Not having enough time for relaxation or enjoyment
- Having no control over a given situation
- Having a huge burden such as lot of responsibility
Situation causes often exacerbate stress and can vary the intensity of stress. This depends on a number of factors:
- How we perceive the event or 'the threat'.
- Our emotional resilience to the event
- How we deal with pressure - our coping skills
Examples of situational causes
- Illness or long term health issues
- Break ups
- Being a carer for a relative
- Losing your job
- Problems with housing or money
- Good events i.e. marriages
How can therapy help?
Hypnotherapy is one of the best tools in removing the physical sensations of stress by addressing the imbalance in the fight and flight response and promoting self esteem. It does this by promoting intensive relaxation and helping you regain control of your physical self.
Counselling is a effective way of exploring the why we feel stress and exploring our reactions to situational causes. It can help us identify errors in thinking and help promote a healthier and balanced approach to thinking.
How many sessions would I need?
I would advise for such a condition a minimum of six sessions to explore causes and provide strategies to combat stress.
Over the six sessions I will offer:
- A comprehensive assessment
- Tools to combat stress and errors in thinking
- Relaxation techniques to promote your well being
- Personalised CD's / MP3s to give you support outside of the session
- Post session tasks to practise what we have learned in session
- A review after six sessions to see if further treatment is required.
Please note that all thearputic journeys are unique, therefore, results may not be typical for all users.